Tuesday, May 24, 2011

WARNING: SOAP BOX TO FOLLOW

Is it really the end of May? Oh dear.

Mom and I went to register this past weekend, and wow. Some of this stuff people buy...give me a break. Some of it is great for a busy mom who needs to cut some corners on time, and some of it is just flat out lazy!! Geez louise. That's why I have job security. No need to actually watch them with some of this stuff on the market. And then when they climb up on the TV set and pull it over on top of themselves or "miraculously" get in the backyard for an afternoon swim, everyone is shocked at how they accomplished that feat!

And then time to register for a carseat. Luckily I work with just the right people for this info. The Injury Prevention Coordinator in my office made a few recommendations (and no, any carseat isn't just a carseat) - there's entire conferences on carseats people. Seriously. So now I will get on my car seat safety box for a second. New recommendations from AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) is rear-facing car seat until 2 years old. The previous recommendation was 1year-18months old AND at least 20 pounds. That means if your 8 month old is 21 pounds, they still sit rear facing. BUT!!!! Now they say if they can stay rear-facing until 2 years or longer (as long as their knees are off their chest) then that is the best practice. This is all based off muscle and bone development for their little cervical spines and the repeated injuries we see in this age group. And I can also attest to some pretty severe facial injuries in forward facing kiddos, too.

And for crying out loud - put your kid in the backseat with BOTH a lap belt and shoulder strap until they are 13. Yes, 13. Just do it. Don't ask me why. If you really don't believe me on this, I'll tell you some stories. Not one or two, but lots of stories. Cervical spine injuries aren't jokes. Feeding tubes and a urinary catheter every 6 hours aren't jokes.

Ok. I'm done with that.


I am having fun looking at tiny little clothes and planning the nursery. A Neverland Nursery. Oh yes yes yes. Complete with the London Clock Tower, pirates, mermaids, and of course...fairies.

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies." JM Barrie, from the book Peter Pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment